Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:22:20 +0200
From:      Piotr Robert Konopelko <piotr.konopelko@moosefs.com>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>, MooseFS FreeBSD Ports <freebsd@moosefs.com>
Cc:        Fernando =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Apestegu=EDa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MooseFS Ports for versions 2.0 and 3.0

Hello Ben,

Thank you very much for your reply and your time!

We'll implement your notes into our ports :)

--=20
Best regards,
Piotr Robert Konopelko
*MooseFS Technical Support Engineer* | moosefs.com[1]

Nice work putting the ports together - its a good first effort! I have =
a few comments=20
about the format of the ports and bug reports - sorry there are quite a=
 few. I don't mean=20
to be picky, but I wanted to minimise the back-and-forth for you to get=
 these committed.

1. Updates to existing ports should be attached as patches to the curre=
nt ports tree. The=20
easiest way to do this if you got the ports tree from subversion (not p=
ortsnap) is using the=20
svn diff command. Tick the "patch" option when attaching so we can see =
a nice pretty diff=20
from within bugzilla.

2. New ports should be attached as a shar(1) file. Assuming the port is=
 called oneko, cd to=20
the directory above where the oneko directory is located, and then type=
: shar `find oneko`=20
> oneko.shar

3. It's nice for ports for share parts of their configuration, but I do=
n't think it should be=20
called "bsd.port.moosefs.mk[2]" (this implies it is part of the port bu=
ild scripts). A good=20
example of what you could do is devel/libtool. It has a Makefile which =
includes=20
Makefile.common. The devel/libltdl port also=20
includes "${.CURDIR}/../libtool/Makefile.common".

4. @dirrm is now deprecated in pkg-plist. Suggest it is probably easier=
 to build this with=20
"make install && make makeplist > pkg-plist". Note that you should chec=
k the plist looks=20
correct, and also delete the top warning line from the generated file.

5. The pkg-descr file should be updated to include a better description=
 of the package,=20
and link to the website.

6. Before submitting a port, check that it passes the normal checks by =
installing the ports-
mgmt/portlint program, and running "portlint -AC" in the port directory=
.

7. If you have access to a poudriere installation, you should submit th=
e "poudriere=20
testport" logs showing that this port will build successfully. Myself o=
r other ports=20
contributors/committers can help with this if you do not have access to=
 a poudriere=20
installation, but please make sure you have at least tested the build o=
n FreeBSD with a=20
"make install".

Much of this is covered in the porter's handbook. It's a good read if y=
ou haven't already=20
seen it. You can find it here:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html[3]

Note that if you re-submit patches to each bug report, be sure to tick =
the option that it=20
obsolete's the previous patch.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
Ben

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 7:05 PM Piotr Robert Konopelko=20