Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:44:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net (Gerhard Sittig)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URGENT: bad superblock

As I recall, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> Returning to the problem:  From L*'s ext2fs I know of a method to
> fallback to the superblock's copies sprinkled all over the disk
> (every 8192 blocks?) when the "first" one is damaged.  This info
> could at least be used to restore the first one to make mount
> work again.  Is there some similar mechanism for ffs/ufs?

The second one is always at block 32, I believe.

So, "fsck -b 32 [filesystem]" should do ya.

After that, where they live depends on things like the number of
cylinders per group and other tunables that you can frob when you
make the filesystem.

It's recommended you save the output of the newfs run to have a
complete list.  However, if you can remember the options you used
when you created the filesystem (easy if you used the defaults), a
"newfs -N" with the same options will tell you where all the
superblocks wound up.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net