Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 18:52:22 -0500
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@panda.FreeBSDsystems.COM>
To:        Ian Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail worked, now it doesn't

Hi,
I doubt if this will help or you may know it already. The last time in reading Sendmail, basically it said that your ISP has to have a pointer to your own host (and domain) aswell, in /etc/mail/local-host-names you have to put in the ISP's mail host..(mail.earthlink.net ?).

As per the above, someone with a much stronger background with Sendmail can mostlikely help. BTW, have you looked at http://www.sendmail.org/docs ?

Lanny
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 03:26:32PM -0800, Ian Thomas wrote:
>     I recently had a working sendmail.  I created an
> .mc file with the bsd4.4 boilerplate and very helpful
> instructions from a sendmail how-to.  After installing
> a new system onto a new drive, this same .cf generated
> from .mc file does not work.  I get RELAY denied from
> my ISP's SMTP.  It will allow me to send out mail that
> ends in its domain(earthlink.net in this case).  I
> will retype the exact .mc file that I created below(I
> would attach it, but lynx does not support
> attachments?).
>
> OSTYPE(`bsd4.4')dnl
> define(`SMART_HOST', ~esmtp:mail.earthlink.net')dnl
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
> FEATURE(`genericstable', `hash
> /etc/mail/genericstable.db')dnl
> GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/genericsdomain')dnl
> FEATURE(`nouucp')dnl
> MASQUERADE_AS(`earthlink.net')dnl
> MAILER(`local')dnl
> MAILER(`smtp')dnl
>
>     Genericstable file contains nothing now because my
> login is identical to my email.  Genericsdomain
> contains localhost.domain, the end of my hostname.
>     The error is SMTP; 550 <my rcpt email address>...
> Relaying denied.  I am logging onto the net using
> earthlink.  Anyone using a dynamic link with earthlink
> have a working sendmail?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, Ian

Lanny Baron
Proud to be 100% FreeBSD
FreeBSD Systems, Inc; Freedom Technologies Corp.
http://www.FreeBSDsystems.COM
1.877.963.1900