Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 2010 00:31:18 -0400
From:      David Forsythe <dforsyth@FreeBSD.org>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   [libpkg] - report #8

This week I pretty much just worked on the proof of concept pkg_info
and pkg_delete tools I've built with the library.  I ran into an issue
with the way I'm handling iteration through a package database and had
to spend some time considering whether or not I would modify the
library.  Currently databases don't support a cursor (there's an
internal cursor, but none available to the client), it looks like I
might need to add one to make recursion a bit easier (which is helpful
for resolving dependencies, conflicts, etc).  Right now I rely heavily
on a rewind function, so search time can get pretty huge for no good
reason.

I spent the rest of my time adding basic write support for packing
lists.  At this point the library can dump all properties for FreeBSD
packages, and I expect to have write-to-database support in place in a
day or two.  Once that's in place, a pkg_add tool will pop up pretty
quickly.