Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:33:31 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Vehrs <jwvehrs@netzero.net>
To:        iago <rnera@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptops

I've install FreeBSD on three different laptops.

  o Thinkpad 560
	- installed 2.2.6 via ftp, plip
	- use Megahertz modems(28.8 & 33.6)
	- install PAO to use pccard stuff
	- X server running in 800x600(max)
  o Thinkpad 600
	- installed 3.x & 4.x via CDROM, ftp
	- use Megahertz modems(33.6 & 56k)
	- one annoying problem with ppp on 3.x that kept lose the connection
	- sound works using pcm0 even though xmms doesn't work good
	- X server running in 1024x768(max)
	- integrated modem(v.90) is no good(of course, it's winmodem)
  o Dell Latitude CSx
	- installed 3.x & 4.x via CDROM
	- diffcult to configure pccard due to irq conflicts
	- use Megahertz modem(56k only)
	- sound works using pcm0 even though xmms doesn't work good
	- X server running in 1152x864(max)(had to add NM2200 for video card or
	  you'll be stuck in 800x600!)

I never try network card becuase at my work, there is only token-ring setup. :(
I'm sure ethernet cards work well as long as it's supported in the hardware
list.

Good luck!