Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:35:39 EDT
From:      Peter Christie <christie@idsi.net>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

On 29 Jul 2002 12:36 EDT you wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:21:35 EDT
> > From: Peter Christie <christie@idsi.net>
> > Subject: Re: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop? (was: Peter heads back to M$FT WinBloze [support groups])
> > To: grog@lemis.com
> > Cc: FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
>
>     Hi Peter,
>
>     please, keep the length of lines you emit below 73 chars, please.
>     Also, it would be very considerate of the freebsd mail servers if
>     you could snip irrelevant parts of the mail you reply to.

I'm using a web-based e-mail client, and can't control line length, sorry . . .

> > As an aspiring hacker, I find the challenge of learing FreeBSD very
> > rewarding in and of itself, but would I put it on my 'home' computer
> > for my wife and kids to use? not as it is now . . . it's hard enough
> > keeping them up and runnning with windoze, and the kids are into games
> > mostly, and FreeBSD is not a good gaming platform. I could probably
> > get the wife converted, as she mostly uses the net for web browsing
> > and e-mail.
>
>     Pardon me, but if it's hard enough for someone to operate windows,
>     why should freebsd try to be *the* os for them? clearly, and it's
>     been said too many times, use a tool you can manage.

I didn't say M$ windoze was hard to operate, I did say it was hard to keep them up and running on windoze, with 3D video cards and force feedback joysticks and digital cameras and . . . I wouldn't want that challenge on a FreeBSD machine at this point in my learning.

> > But the idea here is to set up a "convert" (be it from M$, Mac, or
> > otherwise) with a 'basic' desktop system that can be up and running
> > with minimum effort and complications. This would let more people
> > 'use' FreeBSD as a desktop, and provide feedback for the developers.
>
>     hm, i'm afraid freebsd is not for the faint of heart. if you're
>     a {windows, mac} convert, you better start learning with a unixlike
>     os aimed at you: redhat, mandrake, suse. *or* you have to get
>     ready to rtfm, rtfm, rtfm.
>
>     which is what i did. it's not a coincidence i oppose the idea of
>     converting freebsd to another dualbooter's toy. the nature of
>     freebsd has been very attractive to me, and i'm really glad this os
>     is what it is.

I too am glad FreeBSD is what it is, and I utfm as needed ; )

I'm not really suggesting changing the nature of FreeBSD, but I do think an easy to install,  get up and running, basic desktop enviornment would greatly increase its user-base. . . advanced users could certainly choose the current stand/sysinstall

as a new user (which I still consider myself) I would certainly appreciate someone weeding through the 7000  ports and coming up with a basic set of programs which would provide a good starting point from which to work.

>     after all, choice is a Good Thing(TM). if freebsd turns into Just
>     Another Linux Distro, why would anyone (read: i) want to use it?
>
> > FreeBSD will never be a great desktop OS if you don't build a huge
> > user-base, which will then get you support from manufacturers for
> > drivers and such, as well as the 'other' software companies for
> > user-land apps / games.
>
>     i don't think this holds water, strictly speaking. freebsd already
>     *is* a great desktop os: what is a "great desktop os" lies in the
>     eye of the beholder. i've been using freebsd exclusively
>     since last september. *for me*, it is the best desktop os i've ever
>     used. it supports all the hardware and software i use, with just the
>     right "ease of use".
>
>     i put the term "ease of use" in quotes, because it's actually
>     something that is in the eye of the beholder, again.

I still think a larger user-base would make hardware and software companies provide better support for FreeBSD, which would further increase FreeBSD's user-base . . . FreeBSD wasn't written for 'YOU', I'm certainly glad you find it useful, but it should be made to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

Pete C