Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 15:39:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sysinstall problems...

Hi!

I just went and tried installing 3.0-970526-SNAP from current.freebsd.org.
Along the way I found some problems:

One thing is that sysinstall gives you the choise of ftp sites, including
current.freebsd.org and releng22.freebsd.org. Both those, however, resulted
in sysinstall connecting to "ftp@ftp.freebsd.org", which made things work
less then well. I used "other URL" and entered it by hand, and that worked
fine. This problem also showed up when I (after noting that 3.0 crashed on
me when I exited X11) installed releng22 from 970526. As a matter of fact,
I'm still installing... I'm right now working in the emergency shell,
telnet:ed to my server. (It took ages before a working telnet was downloaded.
Why was /stand/telnet taken out? *cry*)

I'm affraid I have no clue what happened to the 3.0 when it crashed. It was
some page fault, but I didn't have time to look at it. This is my work
machine, and I have lost enough time by upgrading it. I went for releng22
pretty quickly.

Ok. More problems found:

Shouldn't sysinstall not only let you set up which port your mouse is on,
but also the type of the mouse, and baudrate and all. Another sheet to
fill out, just the gateway/hostname/etc one? And then remove the mouse
setup from XF86setup, and just hardcode it to /dev/sysmouse and
MouseSystem. It's pretty confusing, as it is now. I know it's a part of
XFree86, but itshould be able to ifdef that menu for FreeBSD, so that it
only had the "emulate three mouse buttons" thing, etc? Or even better,
make moused do that too (it doesn't, right?), and remove the menu from
XF86setup completely.

Also, sysinstall got a SIGSEGV when I accidently choose "FTP", instead of
"FTP Passive" when installing anything (distribution, packages, anything).
The machine is behind a firewall, and so it seems like sysinstall SEGV:s
when the timeout has passed.

Hope this helps someone. :-)

  /Mikael