Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:19:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Ian R. Justman" <ianj@calweb.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   FrontPage 2000 extensions + Apache 1.3.[69]

Hi, all.

I've been tearing my hair out at the roots trying to figure out why
per-user webs won't work on this prototype FP2K server I am setting up for
work. I use the VR4 patch by Gregory A. Lundberg which make very thorough
security checks like SuEXEC does.  Using this patch with FP2K extensions,
I get this in C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WECERR.TXT (or as a dialog in FP itself):

08/31/99 22:43:09
Server error: You cannot open a web at, or create a subweb beneath, the
URL "/~ianj", because it is an alias.  Use the full URL instead.

I tell the server to use FP98 extensions, along with "upgrading" all the
webs to FP98, it works fine both on the root web and per-user webs.

I was sure to add the AllowOverride All line for the hierarchy which has
the users' webspaces.

The hierarchy looks something like this on our current web server:

/www/home/users/x/xyz

x is the first letter of the user's username, then xyz is the username.
This would be the path to the user's home directory.

Then the UserDir directive would look like:

UserDir .

Even when I call fpsrvadm.exe from the command line to install a per-user
subweb, I get that error.

I'm convinced that either my configs are broken as far as FP2K's
concerned, and I don't know what, or the extensions are brain-damaged in
the 2000 edition.  I have confirmed this problem on two different
platforms, FreeBSD and Linux.

I have also heard about people using both sets of extensions (FP98 and 2K)
on the same server.  Is this even possible?

Anyway, I'm fit to be tied on this one...  I'll start from Square One with
RTR's original patches if I have to.

--Ian.

---
Ian R. Justman (ianj@calweb.com)
UNIX System Administrator and Postmaster, CalWeb Internet Services, Inc.
Office:  (916) 641-9320
Finger ianj@calweb.com for my public PGP key.