Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 11:55:02 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Elliott Miller <elmo@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        freeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: system crash when using 'make'

I hate to say it, but odd crashes that happen only when compiling
(which stresses all hardware parts of the system) sounds like bad ram to
me.

Doug

Elliott Miller wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to FreeBSD,  and have recently installed v 2.2.6 using the
> Complete FreeBSD book as guidance.
>
> Every thing works fine apart from one thing.......
>
> Whenever I do 'make' either to build a port or rebuid the kernal, at
> some point through compilation the machine will crash with something
> like this message:
> Fatal trap 12:             page fault while in kernal mode
> fault virtual address     = 0x8:573c418
> fault code                   = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer       = 0x8:0xf01ba1f7
> stack pointer              = 0x10:0xefbff9fc
> frame pointer             = 0x10:0xefbffa00
> code segment             = base 0x0, linit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                                  = DPL 0, pres1, def 321, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> current process         = 467(ccl)
> interupt mask            =
> panic: page fault
>
> syncing disks......
> I get the impression that its trying to reboot,  but it dosn't, at this
> point I have to do a hard reboot.
>
> It dosn't happen every time (I managed to port xemacs on the fifth
> attempt) and its never at the same point,  but its only when I run
> 'make'.
>
> As you can imagine this is ***really*** annoying.
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening or (preferably) how to correct
> the problem?
>
> My system: Pentium 100,  1GB HD (DOS) 4GB HD (2GB DOS/ 1GB FreeBSD/ rest
> unused) 40MB RAM
>
> cheers
>
> elmo

***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
     - Yiddish Proverb