Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:48:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        marcel-lists@virtua.ch
Cc:        sopel@freebsd.hbz.pl, john@goodleaf.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL & shared memory

On 11 Okt, Marcel Prisi wrote:

> On the other hand, I have been impressed by FreeBSD as even when the load
> was incredibly high (I saw up to 35.4 load average !!), I could always have
> an ssh console and the machine stood up. This is the first FreeBSD machine
> we have in such a load (we were linux-oriented up to now) and I must say
> that I doubt linux would have handled such a load that way).
>
> What seems interested is the kind of "deadlock" in which the machine seem to
> have been : we had so many requests that the machine started swapping (it
> has 1Gb swap) and more and more zombie processes arrived. I had to restart
> both apache & postgresql as the machine was unable to answer any http
> request. It started again everytime the machine started swapping again. In
> order to keep the machine in the ~2.0 - 3.0 load average, I had to stop
> apache from using keepalive and stop php from using persistent postgresql
> connections.

Do you have the http accept filter enabled (man accf_http)?
If you didn't use SSL, have you tried the SGI apache accelerating
patches (http://oss.sgi.com/, there are bug reports for an SSL enabled
apache with SGI patches, so you better didn't use it on a SSL enabled
server)?
This didn't solves your problems with pgsql, but it may give you a
little bit more headroom. Perhaps you may also want to look at the links
at "http://www.leidinger.net/cgi-bin/search.pl?q=apache&num=10" for some
more apache tuning tips.

> We'll set-up a second machine in the next days, so we'll separate db from
> http server, we'll see if it helps (I am sure it will help a bit, but not
> that much). I now have to see with our development department in order to
> optimize their code, as there are way too many sql requests, and I am sure
> this will be a much better solutions.

Perhaps using more than one db-server may help.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
                   It's not a bug, it's tradition!