Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:04:08 +0800
From:      Shaun Dwyer <sdwyer@arach.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        tdwyer@arach.net.au
Subject:   support for Wireless network cards in -stable

Hi,

I am looking at joining the local community wireless network project (www.e3.com.au)
and need to decide which wireless network card to buy to use with FreeBSD.

I use 4.5-stable and CVSup regularly.

I understand the wi driver has support primerily for the Lucent WaveLan based cards
and some support for Prism II based cards. Can anyone advise me which is the better
supported card under FreeBSD using the wi driver and if the Prism II chipset is supported
under another dirver, is this equiv. to the support provided by the wi driver for the wavelan.

What I am concerned about is being able to connect to a network that may use encryption,
any my understanding from scanning the news archives is that the Prism II chipset is not
as well supported and may not have support enabled for encryption.

In addition are there any other significant shortcomings in the wi support for the Prism II chipset?

Which PCMCIA adaptors are better supported, PCI to PCMCIA or ISA to PCMCIA?

If my questions appear dumb, this is all new to me, so please be a bit forgiving. :-)

Please email me directly as I am not subscribed to the mailing lists.

--Shaun Dwyer