Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:30:44 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

Can I just say that I think we've strayed _way_ off track here.  This
whole thing started with someone saying that the CPU required to seed
the random device is prohibitive for the 386.

Unless there are other undisclosed issues, I think we may be putting
the cart before the horse here.  Mark Murray has at least two different
avenues down which performance improvements for the random device lie:

  * counter jitter instead of getnanotime(2)
  * rijndael instead of blowfish

Perhaps it would be wise to hold off on reminiscing about the good old
days, when FreeBSD's ancestors would operate with less memory than
FreeBSD uses to wipe its bottom, until we're actually sure that the only
issue raised is a real issue.

Ciao,
Sheldon.