Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:15:10 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Xorg ICE vs. Xfce4 (4.2-RC3) needs fixing /etc/rc.d/cleartmp

--nextPart7675763.AYjfFLtjPy

On Friday, 7. January 2005 10:37, Rob wrote:

> What ever solution you guys decide, it has to be committed quickly.
> With Xfce's new release 4.2 coming soon, and apparently KDE is also having
> (or is going to have) problems here, a patch can't wait for too long.

[...]

> Maybe a temporary working patch would do.

KDE already has issues with it (see ports/UPDATING). However, I disagree ab=
out=20
the quick-hack idea. Please fix this the right way. Jose's patches for the=
=20
x11 ports look good to me, but xorg's primary maintainer isn't too hot abou=
t=20
a ports-based solution, IIRC, and thus stalling things. Portmgr also knows=
=20
about them, but I don't know if portmgr feels responsible.

In any case, this issue should be fixed correctly, and adding mkdirs/chmods=
 to=20
arbitrary startup scripts for diverse window managers and desktop=20
environments is not the right way - even Jose's PRs or a default,=20
base-system-created socketdir wouldn't be the real fix FWIW - Xorg introduc=
ed=20
nothing but a plain blatant bug into libICE and relies on packagers and OS=
=20
vendors to cover up for it - getting a fix into Xorg is probably really=20
beyond the allowable timeframe though. That's why I myself am inclined=20
towards implementing Jose's PRs, they put the workaround where the bug is.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org