Date:      Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:14:33 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic bluetooth device initialization

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> Paul,
>
>>> fine. if you could please tell us a little bit more and explain
>>> what is wrong with the current way of doing things in linux and/or
>>> freebsd.
>>

>> don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with the current state
>>  of bluetooth configuration utilities. If you've spent some time
>> reading the freebsd handbook or some unofficial bluez tutorials and
>> you're accustomed to the command line (like most of the people on
>> this list, I assume) then you're just set.. ..but if you take into
>> account the regular desktop user (like how linux and freebsd are
>> trying to do right now) you see the need for something more intuitive
>> and immediate than the 'current way of doing things', this basically
>> involves some sort of user interface, at the very least. Even on this
>

> i though we are talking about bluetooth device _initialization_. right
> now, in freebsd, user does not have to do anything except loading the
> drivers and plugging the device. all configuration parameters are in one
> file and documented. adjusting configuration for bluetooth devices in
> freebsd is not that much different from putting stuff into /etc/rc.conf
> etc.
>
> i agree with you, there is no gnome/kde/whatever gui applet that knows
> about bluetooth in freebsd. i also admit that there are no gui based
> bluetooth tools in freebsd. however, this, in my opinion, has nothing to
> do with bluetooth devices initialization.
>
>> mailing list, little time ago, there was a request about porting the
>> excellent kde bluetooth framework to freebsd, but, as you noted, in
>> it's current form kdebluetooth has very deep roots in bluez, and it
>> also has deep roots in KDE, so even adapting to another desktop
>> manager would be difficult. To solve such (not uncommon) problems,
>> the dbus system[¹] is being developed, dbus is getting very popular
>> (maybe too much) and it provides a simple and secure messaging system
>> to let different programs talk to one another, in our example, let
>> one program be the bluetooth daemon, it provides a well-known
>> interface and hides platform-specific implementation details, on the
>> other side we have the other programs, which are just frontends (with
>> a Qt/Gtk/textual interface, it doesn't matter) and can run on every
>> operating system where the aforementioned interface is available, I
>> think something like this wouldn't hurt to any "desktop-unix"
>> operating system.
>

> while i appreciate your effort in this area, i'm skeptical that d-bus
> and/or whatever api will solve this problem. i think, instead of
> introducing yet another compatibility layer that sits on top of native
> api, everyone would be much better off if native api was the same. what
> would solve this problem, imo, is the standard (something like posix)
> that would define api etc.
>
> in the very beginning, i asked linux bluez folks if they are willing to
> [...]

The same holds for libbtctl of gnome-bluetooth.

I wouldn't dismiss an effort to standardize on a dbus API, though. I can
see quite a few advantages in such an approach:

- dbus is already ported to FreeBSD and many other systems
- porting kde-bluetooth or gnome-bluetooth would essentially require a
new (albeit slim) portability layer in order to minimize synchronization
effort with the upstream sources
- the bluetooh subsystem speed requirements are not very high, as to
prohibit a (hopefully efficient) portability layer
- it seems much more feasible to target the compatibility on a dbus API
than to reach consensus on a posix-like API

Nevertheless, if you are confident that we can achieve standardization
in a lower level, I'm definitely all for it.

Regards,
Panagiotis