Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:24:13 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Subject:   Re: Hang problem with spamass-milter...

On 8 Jul 2002, at 17:58, Dan Nelson boldly uttered:

> In the last episode (Jul 08), Philip J. Koenig said:
> > (Speaking of ports - is it really true that the spamass-milter port
> > has been around since April, judging by the date I see listed in the
> > Makefile?  I had a long discussion with Dan Nelson only 3 weeks ago
> > about issues building spamass-milter from source, and the impression
> > I got at the time was there was no port yet??)
>
> That's just the date the author put in the Makefile, and does not
> reflect reality.  The commit was
>
>  date: 2002/06/26 18:54:01;  author: perky;  state: Exp;
>  Add spamass-milter 0.1.1,
>  sendmail Milter (mail filter) for SpamAssassin.
>
>  PR:             37577
>  Submitted by:   Eugene M. Kim <ab@astralblue.net>

OK, thanks for the info.

So then, what is the purpose of the date in the Makefile then if it's
just arbitrary?  Clearly the CVS version date is interesting, since
it has to be in order for ports to work right, but what is the actual
purpose of the "Date Created" string in the Makefile?  If "Date
Created" is just fantasy, why put anything there at all?

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium