Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 11:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Cc:        milo@cyberlifelabs.com
Subject:   Re: ftp-master method

In article <NBEEIDNHJPFDIKAABHKKGEPOCCAA.milo@cyberlifelabs.com>,
Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com> wrote:
> We've been running CVSup for FreeBSD, PostgreSQL and KDE for quite a while
> now. It does eat up quite a bit of CPU time.

Yes, that's for RCS files, as I explained in my mail:

> > > although it does hurt when it comes to cpu.
> >
> > Hmm -- maybe, maybe not.  It uses a lot of CPU for dealing with RCS
> > files, because it parses them and edits them and generally spends a
> > lot of time grokking them.  The rsync algorithm is much simpler, so
> > CVSup's CPU usage should be better for that case.

When updating normal files CVSup will use the rsync algorithm, which
I'd expect to use less CPU time.

Also, CPU time isn't everything.  If rsync uses too much RAM to be
viable, then CVSup is an attractive alternative even if it turns out
to be a little bit slower.

I don't see much point in speculating about it when an actual test
is so easy to perform.

John