Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:38:36 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Scot Elliott <scot@online.barbour-index.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 08:05:25AM -0600, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> At 7:30 AM -0600 3/17/98, Scot Elliott wrote:
> >So I had to give up and revert to 2.2.5-STABLE..  The machine's miles
> >away so it's kind of hard to test these things.  Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Keep "hammering" on Mike Smith. His changes caused the problem.
> I fear that he will view the early "it's great" comments as approval.

I have voiced in favour of keeping the change, provided
(1) We're _certain_ there isn't any more patological cases
(2) We can put up big, prominent signs warning about updating only the
    kernel.

The slice system is hairy enough for a beginner no matter what;
removing the special casing for the root partition would be good.  But
only if it really remove the special casing, so the user can just
think of a slice as a slice.

> However, the sample is EXTREMELY BIASED toward individuals who closely
> track things. If this change gets into the distribution, I expect there
> to be a significant number of users who get "bitten" by the same situation.
> And they don't even know that this discussion is taking place.

Aye!  They must be taken care of.

Eivind.