Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 18:14:47 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make Release failures

In message <19970927171245.WM37928@uriah.heep.sax.de>, J Wunsch writes:
>As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>> > 1.  Strange problem with the locale construction.  If you ``make world''
>> >     immediately prior to building  a release, it works.  If you do not, it
>> >     blows up:
>>
>> A `make world' prior to making a release has always been a prerequisite.
>> This is not a bug.
>
>Huh?  Never did it... :-)  Can't work for cross-release buildings
>anyway (i.e., 2.2 under -current, or vice versa).

Well, yes and no.  You need to be able to populate the chroot tree
with enough stuff that it can actually get airborne.  Back in 2.1ish
days I tried to se how little we could get away with (sh, cc, make, as,
ld what's missing next ? ok, sed, awk, strip, ranlib ? ...)
Unfortunately our makefiles and tools are quite creative so when this
list exceeded 50 files I gave up.

If somebody wants to try going through this again, we could improve
"make release" quite a lot in both time and quality.

Basically the trick is:

	modify src/release/Makefile to not blankly install everything
	into the chroot tree.
	make release
	while it doesn't work
		add the missing files in src/release/Makefile
		make release
	end

Remember that the best way would be to populate only the minimal number
of files from the "outside source", and as soon as you have enough tools,
build them from the release-to-be sources inside the chroot.