Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:44:10 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Style Challenge!

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, John Baldwin wrote:

> As I said, check the archives where this was hashed out earlier.  All
> new (English) documentation is supposed to use double spaces.  If it
> really bothers people, then I'll write a sed script to go put double
> spaces in everywhere in the older docs as well.

Bothers is maybe too strong. Most of the 'one space after period' people
just don't care all that much.

> > And if they get always compressed by the styles sheets anyways, why
> > bother at all?
>
> In the future this behavior may be tweaked in the style sheets.  The

At which point the now silent people will probably start shouting and it
will lead nowhere. It is ugly on paper - really ugly. It is also ugly
onscreen. But that's IMHO.

> issue, however, has to do with the readability of the source.  The
> style sheets determine the output, so output and input formats are two
> different animals.  The documentation writers decided earlier to go
> with double spaces for the (English) documentation because we find it
> easier to read.  Some of us are anal about grammar as well.  Not to

Being anal about grammar is definately ok with me.

> mention that most of us are in the habit of using two spaces after
> sentences, so keeping it at two spaces makes our lives easier.  :)  For

Looking at the lists in general, it is about even.