Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:51:22 +0200
From:      Irvine Short <irvine@sanbi.ac.za>
To:        Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUN TO BSD

Robert L Sowders wrote:

> No the hapless slowaris admin would have to use the FreeBSD box as the NIS
> master then.  What a shame.

I have that situation as I was having a few hassles using Irix master
and slave NIS servers.

Now I have a FreeBSD NIS master and two IRIX 6.5 NIS slave servers. They
can pull their maps, no problem, but when I do

cd /var/yp
<edit master.passwd>

and then a
make

I get all sorts of messages like this:
yppush: transfer of map group.bygid to server fred.splat.ac.za  failed
yppush: status returned by ypxfr: no such host
yppush: foxtrot.sanbi.ac.za : couldn't create udp handle to NIS server:
RPC: Unknown host

This is all lies! I can look up fred with nslookup. Fred's in the hosts
file. all over the place.

I've asked before on this list and on comp.unix.admin but no-one's had
any useful suggestions.

I'm seriously considering movaing away from FreeBSD for NIS.

--

Irvine Short

Sys Admin
SANBI, University of the Western Cape, South Africa
http://www.sanbi.ac.za
tel: +27-21-959 3645
fax: +27-21-959 2512
cel: +27-82-494 3828