Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 22:28:22 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dave Smith <dpsmith@xoom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote power cycle

>I want to remotely power cycle machines at our colocation because
>they tend to hang on reboots because of zombies or just hang.
>
>They are FreeBSD 3.0 and 2.2.5 boxes. Our colocation has a good power supply
>with a backup generator so an UPS is kind of redundant.
>
>I don't want to use a phone line to connect to a device which can
>power cycle machines. I would prefer to telnet into either a FreeBSD
>box which does nothing or the power cycling device if that is
>possible.
>
>Why? Because we will be moving from our current colocation to a new
>colocation in the next few weeks and it would be a waste of time and
>would probably take a few weeks to get the phone line installed.
>
>Granted telneting into a FreeBSD box which might itself hang
>is a single point of failure, but I can live with it.
>
>All help, ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
>I've looked around the archives and could only find
>some advice for a device which one dials into, to remotely
>power cycle machines.

   I wrote this recently:

     For wcarchive, I use the BOOT_FORCE_COMCONSOLE make option. I run gettys
  on the vga virtual ttys so I can log in when I'm sitting in front of the
  machine, but the console is always on the serial port. The console serial
  port is connected to another PC (the "remote console" machine). I always have
  an rlogin/kermit session open on the console in an xterm here with the xterm
  configured to log all output to a logfile. When I need to use the console
  while physically in front of the machine, I just plug the serial cable into
  a laptop. The remote console machine also has an internal modem that I hacked
  to function as a reset switch whenever it goes off hook to dial - I use this
  to reset wcarchive if necessary. I have a watchdog process running on the
  remote console which pings wcarchive every minute or so, and if the pings
  start failing, wcarchive is automatically reset (I have a kermit dialout
  script for this :-)).

   It's never been necessary to power cycle the machine, and considering how
much hardware is involved, that's a good thing. :-)

-DG

David Greenman