Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:31:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lots of "panic: vrele: negative ref cnt"

:> twice, so if you do this a few times you can panic a machine. I've
:> submitted a gnats report (kern/9970).
:
:I can confirm that this also halts my crashes with nmh's spost command.
:I'll leave it up to an NFS guru to tell whether it's the *right* fix,
:but it's certainly something that needs looking at, quickly.
:
:Thanks for your help.
:--
:Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

    This fix looks right.  I've compared the NFS code to the UFS code
    as well as looked at the link() system call.  The man page is wrong,
    and the NFS code is wrong.  I'll commit a fix to -4.x and after
    getting the OK from Jordan, to -3.x too.

    It also appears that nfs_rename() is broken ( it leaves namei data sitting
    around, so no crash but...) And also possibly other nfs VOP calls -- I'll
    have to audit all of them.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>