Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 10:40:36 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI questions

I am trying to add a Pinnacle Micro SCSI CD/RW to my 4.5-STABLE
system, and since all the parts I am using came to me without
documentation, it's proving to be a bit frustrating.

I have an AHA-2940 card installed, and the kernel sees it just
fine using the ahc driver. The drive gets power and seems to work.
My problem seems to be setting the jumpers for the drive to be
seen by the card. it could also be an issue with how the card is
configured in its BIOS (I'm looking at Adaptec's site now to see
what I can find out there).

I moved a jumper to what some fragment of Google'd text suggested
was the toggle for termination: now I get these messages. I didn't
get these previously.

(probe2:ahc0:0:2:0): Unexpected busfree in Message-out phase
SEQADDR == 0x15c
(probe2:ahc0:0:2:0): Unexpected busfree in Message-out phase
SEQADDR == 0x15c
(probe2:ahc0:0:2:0): Unexpected busfree in Message-out phase
SEQADDR == 0x15c
(probe2:ahc0:0:2:0): Unexpected busfree in Message-out phase
SEQADDR == 0x15c
(probe2:ahc0:0:2:0): Unexpected busfree in Message-out phase
SEQADDR == 0x15c

This address is also where the disk utilities in the card complain
of an unexpected timeout, so something is wrong there. cdrecord's
scanbus option finds nothing to work with. Is this as simple as a
device I need to create?

Is there any consistency to the physical interfaces on these
things or is it vendor's choice?

Apologies for the vagueness of this.
--
Paul Beard