Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:34:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk (James Mansion)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java support under FreeBSD.

> I accept Terry's argument that the implementation is hard.  I have to,
> because I don't have any familiarity with the way thtat the file system
> code works.   Perhaps I naively thought that the kernel already
> supported overlay file systems like cachefs and ones that allow mounting
> a write layer over a CDROM and other such stuff that might be available
> elsewhere (ahem!).

This currently does not work, to a large extent.  I identified the
majorly offending VOP's in my last reply.  Without fixing them, it's
not likely that you will be able to do anything about this.

> I didn't like Terry's assumption that there would be a search order
> issue though.

This assumed that you would overlay mount onto the same FS.  Since this
is not the case in your example, then there isn't a problem, other than
that caused by exposing the same objects in two places in the namespace
without a method of serializing access -- unless the overlay FS is to
be read-only?  If you did that, I believe you could get what you are
looking for with only minor modifications to amd, actually.

> So I think Terry's concern over having to force a complete search for
> 'foo' before trying to fake things with 'foo.class' is misplaced.

Yes; your sample implementation does not overaly onto the same namespace
entry point for the namespace intrusion for the "converted" class names.

> I'm pretty horified by large-scale hacks to shells or moving globbing or
> frigging exec routines, which have a very well defined behaviour.

Me too, which is why I'm willing to go into such great gory detail on
the subject.  Typically, I don't use JAVA -- I think that strong typing
is for weak minds (and lazy compiler/interpreter writers).  The same
argument applies equally well to ANSI prototypes, but I have less
choice when it comes to using them.  8-(.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---