Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:11:07 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB issues with Apollo KT133A mobo

"Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net> wrote:

> More specifically, all USB devices lose power.  The device nodes stay in /dev
> and there are no notices to dmesg about the loss until I unplug and replug
> them, at which time it says 'port error: restarting port N' where N is
> generally 0, depending on which controller it is.  It then redetects my
> hardware.

1. IIRC, USB ports on KT133A motherboards were buggy (???).

2. Drawing too much power from the USB ports can cause the ports to shut
   down.  The absolute maximum limit is 500mA, which isn't much (some
   2.5" USB hard disks can draw MUCH more, which violates the spec, and
   sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't).

   Here's another discussion on this:

	http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&threadm=ajedc5%24bej%241%40paris.btinternet.com&rnum=1

--
	Darryl Okahata