Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:17:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin), billf@chimesnet.com (Bill Fumerola)
Subject:   Re: ipfw question.

> I've also sent out numerous appeals to the various mailing lists for
> someone, anyone, to come up with something better than sysinstall
> which was somehow less grandiose than my own follow-on designs or,
> failing that, to significantly revamp sysinstall itself.  The fact
> that nobody has stepped up to the plate has, I feel, nothing to do
> with vaporware, it has to do with certain problems simply being icky
> and unpleasant to deal with.  If such was not the case, you'd think
> one of the other *BSDs would have done it if not us.
>
> Let's also not forget that Caldera had to PAY Trolltech to do their
> fancy installer and then Red Hat came along and substantially pinched
> off of that one, so even the vastly better-funded and staffed Linux
> projects haven't really managed to crack the nut just on volunteer
> labor alone.

FWIW:

I know someone who is willing to substantially revise the install
process, BUT:

1)	They will want to keep it proprietary for commercial
	use for a period of at least a year, and that would
	mean probably keeping it out of the official source
	tree for that period of time.  As you note, it is icky
	and unpleasent to deal with, and they will expect to
	recoup their investment.

2)	They will want to call their stuff FreeBSD, but that
	has historically been vetoed, unless the installation
	images are exactly the same as what you can download
	of the net or buy from Walnut Creek.  During that year,
	they wouldn't be.

Obviously, #1 would potentially cannibalize the WC CDROM market
for FreeBSD CDROMs, assuming they do a decent job of things.

Obviously, #2 means that they people willing to do the work
are interested in a "RedHat FreeBSD"-like play, which may not
be in everyones interest.

As I said: FWIW.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org