Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:28:46 +1000
From:      "Craig Nuttall" <admin@kewl.com.au>
To:        "Chris Hodapp" <hodapp87@usa.net>, <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disk space requirements

Everything at the office is big, but at home, I built a gateway for my LAN
so that the whole family could have simulaneous net access.

My gateway box is
486 DX50
32Mb RAM
212 Mb HDD

it runs like a dream

Dont know if your 12 Mb RAM is enough, I have no experience in that area,
but try it unless someone else can advise)

For your reference, when you carve up the disk, allow about 40 MB for / , 10
for /var , and the rest for /usr .
Also you will want a swap in there as well, the standard is to allocate
twice your amount of RAM as swap, again I have no experience with 12Mb RAM,
but I think I would be tempted to allocate more than 24Mb swap..... (say
50Mb.????)

Someone may have more experience and give better advice, if not, give it a
After all, what have you got to lose ??????
The 486 stands a far better chance of flying on FreeBSD than is does on
........ Ahhhhh...... what's that other thing called ??????? (something
beginning with "M" ??????)

Good luck
Have fun
Craig