Date:      Thu, 22 May 2008 16:49:08 +0200
From:      "Christian Zachariasen" <chrizach@gmail.com>
To:        "Frank Shute" <frank@shute.org.uk>,  "William O. Yates" <hackware@tru2life.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi secure

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:26:20AM -0700, William O. Yates wrote:

> > > Show us the macro.

> > > What does:
> > >
> > > :set
> > >
> > > show you?
> > >
> > > External commands work for me. Sure your vi isn't aliased? When
> > > doesn't it work? As root or ordinary user or both?
> > >
> > > What's your secure level?:
> > >
> > > $ sysctl -a | grep secure
> > >
> > > What does:
> > >
> > > $ whereis vi
> > >
> > > give you?
> > >
> > > and:
> > >
> > > $ uname -a

> > > No.

> > > --
> > >
> > >  Frank
> > >

> > >  Contact info: http://www.shute.org.uk/misc/contact.html
> > ..william.o.yates...hackware.at.tru2life.net...tru2life.info...
> >
> > I usually run as root when updating systems (toor actually)...
> >
> > But symptoms are same for root and user level in vi,
> FreeBSD-[5.4,6.1,6.2,6.3].
> >
> > NO nfs mounts, aliases, or any other funny stuff I can think of.
> >
> > Virgin vi setup from FreeBSD install.
> >
> > "inside_vi :!" --> (ANY ! command, not just macro)
> > The ! command is not supported when the secure edit option is set.
> >
> > "inside_vi :set all" --> (same as 4 other FreeBSD machines...)
> > +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
> > noaltwerase     noextended      matchtime=7     report=5
>  term="xterm"
> > autoindent      filec=""        nomesg          ruler           noterse
> > autoprint       flash           nomodeline      scroll=27       notildeop
> > noautowrite     nogtagsmode     noprint=""      nosearchincr    timeout
> > backup=""       hardtabs=0      nonumber        secure
>  nottywerase
> > nobeautify      noiclower       nooctal         shiftwidth=8    noverbose
> > cdpath=":"      ignorecase      open            noshowmatch     warn
> > cedit=""        keytime=6       optimize        showmode        window=29
> > columns=80      noleftright     path=""         sidescroll=16
> nowindowname
> > nocomment       lines=30        print=""        noslowopen      wraplen=0
> > noedcompatible  nolisp          prompt          nosourceany
> wrapmargin=0
> > escapetime=6    nolist          noreadonly      tabstop=8       wrapscan
> > noerrorbells    lock            noredraw        taglength=0
> nowriteany
> > noexrc          magic           remap           tags="tags"
> > directory="/tmp/"
> > msgcat="/usr/share/vi/catalog/"
> > paragraphs="IPLPPPQPP LIpplpipbp"
> > recdir="/var/tmp/vi.recover"
> > sections="NHSHH HUnhsh"
> > shell="/bin/sh"
> > shellmeta="~{[*?$`'"^V"
> > Press any key to continue [: to enter more ex commands]:
> >
> > "inside_vi :set nosecure" -->
> > set: the secure option may not be turned off.
> >
> > ns1:/usr/local/www/info/docs> uname -a
> > FreeBSD ns1.tru2life.net 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12
> [...]

Your behaviour is reproducible when I run vi -S, but in normal vi I have
full access to external commands with !, both running as root and toor. I
googled your error message and couldn't find it anywhere except for
newsgroups where you've been posting, so it's a very rare issue indeed. I
don't have any suggestions as to how you'd fix it though, except look for
any aliases and the stuff people have said before.

Christian Zachariasen