Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 01:47:13 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Cc:        shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp (Yoshinobu Inoue), louie@TransSys.COM, committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

> Personally, I think the timeline laid down - 25(?) days from now
> until 4.0 release is too aggressive.  Given that the announcement
> (to me) seemed to be rather autocratic and possibly driven by
> marketting factors ("we need 4.0 out now regardless" ?) than by
> the general stability and maturity of -current.  Well, that's the
> impression I get from an announcement encouraging people to do
> heavy testing in the next 10 days.  I would encourage Jordan and
> others to have a rethink about the timeframe for 4.0 and what plans
> they have for it feature wise.

The 4.0 release has been scheduled for Q1 2000 since at least June last
year.  This has been a generally known fact since then.  The feature
freeze was announced for Dec 15th (but was largely suspended in order to
accomodate new work and reality in general).

Unfortunately, the 3.0 release made it very clear that simply sliding the
release date indefinitely for "technical" reasons results in the release
never happening.  The alternative is this - people that for whatever
reason haven't noticed that the release has been looming ever closer
suddenly realise that it's right over their shoulder and burst out in
surprise.

> To give you some idea, Solaris8 will have been in *beta* for ~9 months
> when it is released and will support IPv6 (telnet, inetd services, NFS)
> and IPSec when it is released around March.  FreeBSD is no less an OS
> than Solaris is, when it comes to completeness.

I'd love to have Sun's resources, not to mention their mechanisms for
motivating their developers.  8(