Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:08:10 +1000 (est)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Instability with offboard IDE controller, CMD-649

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Willie Viljoen wrote:

> I'd previously posted to freebsd-fs list about this problem, I keep
> loosing data and having stability problems with a CMD-649 PCI ATA-100
> offboard IDE controller.

I'm using several of these; one of which is used to boot 4.4R on an old
pre-UDMA chipset board.  They're not getting heavy use though...

{...}

> I'm down to one last option, being trying to run the drives at low speed
> with old 40-conducter cables, just to try and force this controller to
> slow down.

man ata(4) shows a sysctl which could be used to force PIO mode for
testing.  40 wire cables should force the controller back to UDMA-33.

> It claims to be ATA-100, but when booted in windows, the driver is trying
> to run it in what it calls "UDMA mode 5", which to my best knowledge is
> ATA-133, which neither the drive (a 40GB Seagate ST340810A 5400RPM) or the
> controller supports.

UDMA mode 5 is ATA-100.

If going slower helps, keep in mind that >UDMA-33 is sensitive to cable
length as well as cable/connector quality, so if you haven't already tried
changing 80 wire cables it might be worthwhile.

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia