Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:48:51 -0800
From:      Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@mavhome.dp.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Tethering with HTC Touch Pro -- how?

Alexander Motin wrote:
> Vincent Hoffman wrote:

>>> I am successfully using my Qtek S200 with WM6.1 as plain Bluetooth
>>> GPRS/EDGE modem. BT PAN profile could be better for internet sharing; I
>>> haven't seen it implemented, but there were some activity. Sharing via
>>> USB cable requires RNDIS support, which is also not implemented, AFAIK
>>> due to buggy and undocumented protocol.
>>>
>> Just as a quick appendium, bluetooth PAN support got added to -CURRENT a
>> couple of days ago.
>>  I'll try and dig out my old HTC Hermes and test it, will report back if
>> I do.
>
> I have even tested it already and replied on freebsd-bluetooth@. It
> works fine with my Qtek S200 with WM6.1.

I went to the freebsd-bluetooth mailing list archives and saw that it
worked, but nobody's actually posted anything on how to do it, starting
from a system with a recent -CURRENT and a phone that can do the right
thing.

I was able to use the FreeBSD Handbook chapter on Bluetooth to do stuff
like successfully pair my phone and my laptop.  I was able to search for
nap and opush with sdpcontrol and see a screen or so each of output but
I didn't quite see what to do next.  The chapter talks about searching
and browsing services, and I can run the commands and get output, but it
doesn't quite make enough sense for me to move forward.  If you can
document what you did to make it work, what commands and configuration
files and all, that'd be really really helpful to those of us who aren't
as familiar with Bluetooth as you guys and just want to tether our laptops.

Thanks!

Jack.