Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:00:05 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Question] Hello , I want to use APC UPS on FreeBSD...

>>>>> "b" == bamtoly  <bamtoly@nownuri.net> writes:

b> I have APC UPS Back-UPS Pro 650 .. how to use APC UPS on FreeBSD?
b> i was installed sysutils/bkpupsd , sysutils/upsd sysutils/upsmond
b> but , i can't use MY UPS on freebsd :(
b> help me plz......

I use sysutils/nut on my Back-UPS Pro 650 and it works just fine once
you figure out the bizarre configuration mechanism.  You also need to
use the proper cable that comes with the UPS.

The only thing I can't see how to do is make it power down the UPS.

Nut expects that once shutdown is run, it will leave the system up and
running with disks mounted read-only and then you can issue a command
to turn off the power.  I just gotta wonder what the heck system this
was designed for.  I don't see any convenient place to hook the "power
off" command in the FreeBSD shutdown procedure.