Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:39:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.4BSDLite (was Re: BSD Strains)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de> types:
> > On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Benjamin Flom wrote:
> > > I am involved in planning the beginnings of an ISP. We plan to do
> > > web/ftp/streaming media/transactions/remote storage/etc....
> > > I am trying to understand the differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD, BS=
> > > Lite, OpenBSD, etc. Any info that can be provided would be helpful.
> > FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are based on 4.4BSD Lite.
>
> BSD Lite is really only of historical interest. BSD proper came from
> the Computer Systems Research Group at UCB (whence the B in BSD),
> primarily including the code they had an ARPA grant to develop, but
> including code from lots of other places. A number of things happened
> that caused CSRG to disband and stop distributing code. The various
> other BSDs (Free, Open, Net and BSDi) have continued development from
> that point, and those are the ones you should consider.
>
> Since no one else has mentioned it, BSDi is the commercial
> variant. You can get source and an unlimited install license, but it
> also has commercial support if that makes the managers happy.

I'm not sure whether 4.4BSDLite is of historical interest only. I think
there's a lot of code from 4.4BSD still important for FreeBSD & Co. What's
about lots of man pages, much userland code and our famous C library libc
and others?

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg