Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 00:10:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        keichii@bsdconspiracy.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Manual Set

> I do not understand why we cannot have a friendly yet professional
> sounding "auto-reply" message.  For the average user, it is much
> easier for them to understand the above mail than reading the
> Sendmail bounce message.  Professional sounding is all good, but
> not at the price of clearity and easy-of-use.  In this case,
> can you write a message that is  more concise, clear, and yet
> still friendly to the average OE/Eudora/Outlook/Messenger-email-user?

The sendmail bounces are RFC 1894 MIME DSNs.

Using these has the advantages that users who do not do something
foolish, like running a stupid mail client, can have the DSN
interpreted for them by their mail client.

This interpretation can include, but is not limited to, the mail
client presenting the information in the locale specific language
that the user prefers, without having to do something scruddy to
the mail servers, like translating status messages into German
because the mail server is located in Germany, even though the
sender is sending an English message to an English speaking German
(or vice versa).

This is also the rationale for RFC2369 mailing list commands via
"mailto:" URLs for help/unsubscribe/subscribe/post/owner/archive
embedded in specially named headers that can be interpreted, and
localized, by sufficiently clueful mail clients.

Consider that a non-English speaker who was an Internet user
would have some experience decoding RFC 1894 DSNs, but would
have no clue whatsoever about how to decode the "friendly"
postfix message.

I hate programs that pretend to be converstational, particularly
when they only speak English.

P E R H A P S   I F   W E   A L L   T Y P E D   L O U D L Y
A N D   S L O W L Y   E N O U G H ,   W E   W O U L D   A L L
B E   A B L E   T O   U N D E R S T A N D   E N G L I S H
T E X T . . .

Localization is _why_ we chose to implement a protocol, rather
than some silly ass text message.  MTAs could at least have the
courtesy to conform to standards, which are there for a reason.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.