Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:32:25 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        FS <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Timecounter TSC

Thanks to Poul-Henning Kamp which

pointed where to disable TSC. 1st time

I've decided to define option in kernel

"DISABLE_TSC" and do things according

following patches:

KERN.diff:
78a79,80
> options               DISABLE_TSC

options.i386.diff:
2a3
> DISABLE_TSC

/sys/i386/include/specialreg.h.diff
81a82,84
> #if defined(DISABLE_TSC)
> #define       CPUID_TSC       0x0000
> #else
82a86
> #endif
As far as I define in kernconfigfile option DISABLE_TSC
I have to have tsc_present variable set to zero.
In /sys/i386/isa/clock.c:
void
startrtclock()
{
        u_int delta, freq;

        if (cpu_feature & CPUID_TSC)
                tsc_present = 1;
        else
                tsc_present = 0;
[...]
}

I've built new kernel, installed it and ... Nothing:
Timecounter TSC initialises anyway. What I did wrong?

Then I simply added "tsc_present = 0;" after if-block in
startclock. And it worked. TSC have been disabled.
After that my clock ran faster(even faster then really needed:)
but anyway it better then to have a monday during all the week:)
Futher, my X stopped to freez during xdm startup.
Now I dont need to ssh my X-box to awake X up.
What people think about it?

--
WBW  Andy V. Oleynik  (When U work in virtual office
                       U have good chance to obtain virtual money ö%-)