Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs), pavel@alum.mit.edu, nsayer@sftw.com, luigi@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for ethernet, bridging, netgraph

Julian Elischer writes:
> Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > The current situation with Ethernet drivers, Bridging, BPF, and
> > Netgraph is that it's all a bit klugey and gross.  As evidence of
> > this, every single Ethernet driver (I've counted 45) must contain
> > the same duplicated code to handle both BPF and bridging..

OK, here's a patch ready for review & test.. this patch does one
thing, which is move the calls to BPF and BRIDGE'ing out of each
Ethernet driver and into ether_input().

  ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/misc/net.cleanup.patch

Since it intersects with a zillion differnet Ethernet drivers, and
my current machine only has one, it's kindof hard to test. It does
seem to work OK with the fxp driver.

If people can test these that would be much appreciated.. especially
BPF, BRIDGE'ing, and multicast.

Most of these patches are straightforward, however a few are
more tricky.. in particular:

	- pci/if_de.c      (what does TULIP_HASHONLY mean exactly?)
	- dev/ed/if_ed.c   (contained a BRIDGE optimization)
	- dev/ie/if_ie.c   (contained a BPF optimization)

Also, although it's obvious for some, I can't know for certain
which drivers are shared with other BSD's.. and therefore need
the code that was ripped out put back (inside #ifndef __FreeBSD__).

Thanks!
-Archie