Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:13:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Defragmentation

On 17-Oct-00 Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> * Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se> [20001017 17:21]:
> =>
> =>On 17-Oct-00 Daniel Bye wrote:
> =>> As far as I know, there are no defragmentation agents for FreeBSD (or most
> =>> other *NICES).  Therefore, you would have to rebuild your file systems.
> =>> Take a tape backup of the entire system (this is sequential, so disk
> =>> fragmentation is not an issue), rebuild your disk slice/partition setup,
> and
> =>> then restore the backed up file systems from the tape.
>
> Now that is where the dilemna is..my box has no tape drive! But I have a
> tape of 10GB and there is another FBSD box near me which has the tape
> drive. I've heard about amanda and some network backup applications but I
> think I may be able to backup but not restore....what is the procedure
> when the tape drive is not on the box??

Something like this works for me:

dump -0aub 64 -f vanheden:/dev/nrsa0 /
dump -0aub 64 -f vanheden:/dev/nrsa0 /usr
dump -0aub 64 -f vanheden:/dev/rsa0  /var  (this way it'll rewind when done)

authentication is through rsh, which maybe is dangerous for you?

Variations on that theme e.g.

tar -c -v -p -f - -b 20 directory | ssh -c arcfour vanheden dd \
of=/dev/rmt/0n obs=20b

should do just as well I imagine. Try not to use a too computer intensive
encipherment though.

Anyway man dump and man restore is prolly what you want.

/M

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail