Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:06:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        mikebo (Mike Borowiec), bugs@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-951020-SNAP: Major bug in NFS again!

Garret wrote:
> <<On Thu, 26 Oct 1995 17:07:33 -0500 (CDT), mikebo@tellabs.com said:
> > I do have a question:
> > Would a FreeBSD server always respond to a client from the same interface
> > on which it received a request - even though its route table has a
> > different route to the clients network?
>
> No.  Source address != interface.  If the source address is already
> set in the outgoing IP packet, ip_output() will not change it even if
> the packet goes out an interface which does not have that address on
> it.  (Otherwise forwarding would not work!)

So, a multi-homed FreeBSD NFS server would behave the same as a multi-
homed Sun NFS server and adhere to the route table. That's what I
thought, but is contrary to some grumblings I've heard about the way Sun
serves NFS. Some people have sworn that the "proper" thing for the server
to do is send replies out the same interface that received the request -
evidently not caring whether it adhered to the route table or not.

The bottom line is that people mounting filesystems from a multi-homed
FreeBSD server could potentially run into the same problem I experienced
(NFS replies with a different source addr than the request's destination
addr), and be forced to use the "noconn" option. So much for my feeling
bad about using those damn rogue Suns. ;v)

Since, in this situation, the FreeBSD NFS client doesn't behave according
to the "Industry standard" (requires a special option to mount), perhaps
this issue should be included in the FAQ. Even though it is not an issue
that pops up _frequently_, it is a real hair-puller.

Since posting my problem, I've had several people write saying they had
the same experience, and it took several days until some kind soul pointed
out the deprecated noconn option, which is buried in the mount_nfs man page.

Hopefully, deprecated doesn't mean it will be removed anytime soon. ;v)
Regards,
- Mike
Michael Borowiec   -   mikebo@tellabs.com   -   Tellabs Operations Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff                4951 Indiana Avenue, MS 63
708-512-8211  FAX: 708-512-7099                 Lisle, IL  60532  USA