Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:20:33 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   mountd

After reading the manpage and list archives, I've come to (what I believe)
to be the truth in that what I am trying to do with NFS is not possible
with the current implimentation of mountd.

My NFS server has /usr on a single filesystem, yet I would like to share
subdirectories of /usr with different attributes.  An example would be:

     /usr/ports	       readonly
     /usr/src	       readonly
     /usr/local/build  read/write

The idea is that machines with very little disk space will be able to build
ports and source using /usr/build/<hostname> as the workdir.  As I
understand it, this can't be done since /usr is a single filesystem on the
server and must
a) be listed on single line in /etc/exports
b) have the same attributes for all exported directories

Am I missing something?  If not, why is FreeBSD's mountd implimented this
way when it causes severe limitations such as the one I just came across?
How hard would it be to reimpliment the system?  Does anybody have any
suggestions for a quickfix?  What is the answer to life, the universe, and
everything?

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly@zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org

For PGP key, send e-mail with subject "send pgp key"