Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:28:33 -0800
From:      Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold <patron1@paganlibrary.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assistance creating a bootable restore tape

IIRC, the last OS that would boot from tape was AIX, and that was on IBM'=
s=20
hardware.

Gunnar Reichert
Seagate RSS
Tape Drive Sales Support

On Friday 02 November 2001 10:04, Trevor S. Cornpropst wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:24:05PM -0700, Chris Fedde wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 23:40:56 -0500  "Trevor S. Cornpropst" wrote:
> >  +------------------
> >
> >  | We have considered an automated install from a custom CDROM
> >  | distribution but this is problematic due to different server
> >  | configurations and the effort required to maintain multiple
> >  | restore CDs.
> >
> >  +------------------
> >
> > I'm not sure that I understand how tape would be different than the
> > CDROM. Do you want to be able to create a bootable recovery system in=
 the
> > field?
>
> Yes, the idea is to be able to create a bootable recovery system in the
> field customized to the particular server. We would be able to boot fro=
> tape by specifying the device in the SCSI BIOS, assuming we can get a b=
oot
> block on the tape, etc.
>
> >  +------------------
> >
> >  | I used to work on HP-UX systems that had a utility to create boota=
ble
> >  | restore tapes but, I no longer have an available system to study.
> >
> >  +------------------
> >
> > I did tape recovery systems on motorola based HPUX 300 series
> > workstations circa 1988 or so.  IIRC it was quite painful.  I'm
> > not sure that modern PC bioses can even boot from tape.
> >
> > If I was planning a remote appliance configuration today, I'd shy
> > away from tape for anything "operational".  I'd consider always
> > booting from CDROM for / and /usr.  Then use a scheme of normal
> > and union mounts to allow customizations to be written "over" the
> > underlying image.  I'd plan to use tape for archival storage only.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Trevor
>
> > --
> >     Chris Fedde

--=20

Don't give me that "kinkier than thou" attitude.

Above address is an autoresponder!
Correct email address: patron1 at paganlibrary dot com

Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold
http://www.paganlibrary.com