Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 01:10:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kill -HUP 1

I'm sorry, I forgot two things that might be important.

I wrote in list.freebsd-questions you wrote (30 Dec 1999 00:24:47 +0100):
 >  - For the change to take effect, type ``kill -HUP 1''
 >    (be careful to type this command exactly like that --
 >    a typo can cause a reboot!  See "man 8 init").
 >    This should restart the getty processes that are running
 >    on the vritual terminals.

First:  I'm not 100% sure if the above kill command will
restart all gettys.  If it does, you will be logged out
automatically.  Then you have to log in again.  If it doesn't,
then the $TERM variable will not be updated automatically, and
you have to set it manually as I explained in my previous email
message.

Second:  After the kill command, you should type the command
``tail /var/log/messages''.  In case there is a syntax error
or some other problems in your /etc/ttys file, init will send
appropriate messages to syslog, and they will appear in the
messages file.  If nothing is there, everything went fine.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)