Date:      18 Dec 2001 03:17:28 -0800
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   net/netatalk upgrade fails.

I'm trying to upgrade netatalk from 1.5p8_1 to 1.5p8_2 with

        # portupgrade netatalk

My umask has been set to 022, and I'm running "FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #10: Sat Sep
22 13:37:52 PDT 2001".

The first problem was that there two files were missing from /usr/local/etc,
which caused the port backup to fail.  Those were AppleVolumes.system.dist and
atalkd.conf.dist.  I made new versions of the files (by copying the non-.dist
files) to fix that problem.  I don't know why they weren't installed by the
earlier port install.

The second problem is more difficult.  The port goes through the make process
just fine, backs up the old port, and attempts to install the new one.
Eventually, it gets to the following:

        ===>   Generating temporary packing list
        install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555
        /usr/ports/net/netatalk/work/netatalk-1.5pre8/netatalk.sh
        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh.sample
        install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555
        /usr/ports/net/netatalk/work/netatalk-1.5pre8/contrib/macusers/macusers
        /usr/local/bin/macusers
        [ -f /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default ] ||  install -c -o root -g
        wheel -m 444 -c /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default.dist
        /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default
        install: /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default.dist: No such file or
        directory
        *** Error code 71

        Stop in /usr/ports/net/netatalk.
        *** Error code 1

        Stop in /usr/ports/net/netatalk.
        *** Error code 1

        Stop in /usr/ports/net/netatalk.
        *** Error code 1

        Stop in /usr/ports/net/netatalk.
        ** Command failed: make reinstall clean
        --->  Updating dependency info
        --->  Restoring the old version
        [...and so on...]

Now, the interesting thing is that I see lines in the make process that go:

        /bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/etc
         install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 ./netatalk.conf
                /usr/local/etc/netatalk.conf.dist
         install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 ./netatalk.pamd
                /usr/local/etc/netatalk.pamd.dist

but I see no lines that relate to AppleVolumes.default.  I do have a
/usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default.dist file, though---of course, that's
uninstalled before the make reinstall.

I don't see an obvious place to fix this; perhaps Marcus can take a whack at
it?  Or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

And by the way, can I just point out now that I *love* portupgrade?  It's
completely revolutionized how I maintain my system.