Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bogdan Petculescu <bogdan@seismo.nrcan.gc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bogdan@mail.seismo.nrcan.gc.ca
Subject:   ATAPI IDE problem

Hello everybody,

I try for the first time to install FreeBSD 3.2 from the Walnut Creek
CD-ROM on a Pentium II/350MHz machine, and after booting the install
kernel and setting up partitions, I get the message

No CD-ROM devices found ! ...

In "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, at page 100, it is written
that I might use an ATAPI drive that does not fit the specification.

This is what I have about the (indeed ATAPI IDE) CD-ROM:

1) The technical leaflet reads:
   E-IDE, conforms to SFF8020 v1.2
2) The Award BIOS says:
   ATAPI CDROM on IDE Secondary Slave, Mode 4
3) Windows 98 (was previously on the machine) said about it:
   E-IDE CDROM 36X/AKW

I tried to use UserConfig, but the result is the same, and there is
no wcd device in any list thereof.

Could you please help me ?

Thank you,

Bogdan Petculescu