Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 16:07:11 -0700
From:      Kevin J Wang <kwang@lore.acs.calpoly.edu>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help? First-time install && 3c589 in DEC HiNote Ultra II

Help??

I just purchased a dec HiNote Ultra II and when I use my friend's 3c589 in it,
It partially recognizes that the pcmcia card is there, but doesn't
actually create the ethernet interface.

I am booting from the boot.flp generic 2.1.0-RELEASE floppy installer
image and after using -c to disable just about everything except the
network card, it gets down to the bottom and says:

	zp: found card in slot 1
	zp0 not found at 0x300

I have configured the card using the latest 3com config utilities and all of
its tests pass without problems!  (btw, the card is also
strange-configured to irq3, after disabling com2 from the bios)

I can't figure what the heck is going on here, does anyone know?

The exact hardware modem is a 3com 3c589C-combo, with both TP and Coax
connections.

Does anyone in San Luis Obispo or anyone in the Bay Area (Sunnyvale) have a
known-compatible and working pcmcia card that I can swap and try with?

Are there any known bugs in the 2.1.0 zp drivers?

   - Kevin Wang, kwang@lore.acs.calpoly.edu