Date:      Mon, 8 May 1995 20:56:00 -0400
From:      nit@llc.org (Martin Durand)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Various questions

The college where I'm network everything is about to get connected using
ISDN (with those prices, who needs 56k!). IS guys being what they are, they
insist on a firewall. I'm thinking of using FreeBSD with TIS's fwtk. Now
for the problem spots.

- I've been monitoring the firewalls mailing list where I posted my
solution. Someone said go with BSDI, another with FreeBSD, still another
said go with NetBSD. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is not to
use Linux (a bug in the TCP/IP code it seems). From what I understand,
NetBSD precedes FreeBSD 2.0 and BSDI 2.0. Aside from $$$ and "hacker"
quality, what's nice about you guys ?

- I would like to save money on routers and incorporate an ISDN card in the
server. All our connections will go through the firewall to both channels
(2-64k B channels). Can you recommend a card or card/external UTA that will
work with FreeBSD ?

- I will probably use a HP NetServer with integrated Adaptec SCSI
controller. Comments? Problems? Other manfacturer?

- Lastly, and I know this is plug time, any comments from users using
FreeBSD as a base for a firewall?

Thanks for the info.

 Martin Durand             | I know I should be working on my .sig file,
 nit@llc.org               | but who reads these things...