Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:16:11 +0200
From:      "Thomas Uhrfelt" <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "Roy Bettle" <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Reference index/list/etc.

> Quickie:
> I am something of a newbie to FreeBSD/open source.  Is there a "master
> list" sort of reference somewhere that lists out all the jillions of
> apps that come with FreeBSD and who wrote them/what they do?

I was too a totally newbie to FreeBSD a couple of months back, and now I
have grown to love this stable and wonderful OS. Well there are some
drawbacks, like there are plenty of documentation on everything - but it's
scattered all around.

> Like, what is "egcs"?  "Tsk"?  Etc.  I feel like this is such a newbie
> question, but I am really hoping that such a reference exists so I know
> "what to use/where it is/how to use it" as I continue getting familiar
> with FreeBSD.

Yes, go to http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ and look at the description of the
ports, they are all nicely categorized.

> I'm going through the install/config and I would like to be able to make
> intelligent choices as to what packages/ports to include, etc.

Well, the basesystem is pretty capable as-is, almost all is there from the
start. It's better to ask questions like "I would like to do XYZ, what kind
of application would you recommend". For normal use, pretty much everything
is there.

Thomas Uhrfelt