Date:      Tue, 02 Dec 2003 18:05:40 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>=20
> Why didn't you pipe up when this was discussed _long_ ago?
> I don't understand why you can't buildworld with static slash if you fe=
el so=20
> strongly about it.

As for that, it was discussed on arch@, not current@. And _I_,=20
personally, got the impression the plan was to make dynamic world an=20
_option_, not the default.

Now, my machines usually get by themselves, but all *I* do on them is=20
sh(1) intensive, so I'll probably be using the static root option when=20
it comes time to upgrade them to 5.x.

> If you are deploying FreeBSD on servers you should build your own relea=
se=20
> anyway (which is hardly an onerous task).

And if you are using FreeBSD on desktop you should use bash or some=20
other ports-shell, instead of slowing down _the_ shell for shell=20
scripts. But that's IMHO, so I didn't pipe this in until now. But it's=20
the very same argument you are making, so I thought you deserved to hear =
it.

--=20
Daniel C. Sobral
Ger=EAncia de Opera=E7=F5es
Divis=E3o de Comunica=E7=E3o de Dados
Coordena=E7=E3o de Seguran=E7a
VIVO Centro Oeste Norte
Fones: 55-61-313-7654/Cel: 55-61-9618-0904
E-mail:	Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br
	Daniel.Sobral@tcoip.com.br
	dcs@tcoip.com.br