Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2007 21:30:07 GMT
From:      Joe Peterson <lavajoe@gentoo.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/59739: [libc] rmdir(2) and mkdir(2) both return EISDIR for argument "/"

The following reply was made to PR kern/59739; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@gentoo.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,  asf@boinkor.net
Subject: Re: kern/59739: [libc] rmdir(2) and mkdir(2) both return EISDIR for
 argument "/"
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:01:12 -0600

 Hi, we at Gentoo/FreeBSD just ran into this issue with a script that had
 worked on Linux, since it expected EEXIST for all dirs (it did not
 expect EISDIR when trying to mkdir an existing dir when it hit "/").  We
 have fixed it, but since the mkdir/rmdir man pages do not specify EISDIR
 as a potential error code - and just for correctness/compatibility
 reasons - my feeling is that it would be good to fix this issue.  I also
 have no experience hacking FreeBSD kernel or userland utilities, so I
 have not pursued providing a patch.  Sorry if this follow-up is not
 useful without having a patch.

 						-Thanks, Joe