Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:25:50 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nvidia video driver and Fb7

--98e8jtXdkpgskNou

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 12:25:41PM +0000, Kemian Dang wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> I have installed the FB7-rc1 and the nvidia driver from port and kept=20
> update to the newest version, but when I change the xorg.conf to use the=
=20
> "nvidia" instead of "nv", the X gave a complain about no /dev/nvidiactl=
=20
> and stops, so I can only use nv, which seems slow on some 3d application.
> I tried to download the source from nvidia web page to compile, but it=20
> said it is not for fb7 now. But, when I install from port, it did not=20
> give any error or warning.
>=20
>=20
> So, have anyone tried nvidia driver on fb7 and succeed? Please give some=
=20
> advice on how to solve this problem.

Yep, no problems here. Are you sure the driver is loaded into your
kernel?

 # kldstat
 Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   15 0xc0400000 550b18   kernel
 2    2 0xc099c000 28638    linux.ko
 5    1 0xc0a18000 693b10   nvidia.ko

You need these lines in /boot/loader.conf:

nvidia_load=3D"YES"
linux_load=3D"YES"

(The Linux mod is if you built the driver with support for Linux
DRI)

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye