Date:      03 Oct 2000 12:45:23 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Loony Bomber <LOONY@208.25.164.82.pacificlaw.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFreeBSD Install - 4.1-RELEASE #:0 Fri Jul 28 14:30:31 GMT 2000

Loony Bomber <LOONY@208.25.164.82.pacificlaw.org> writes:
>                               Given these qualifications, and the fact
> that the first router I built on a recycled 286 system (as a lark)

FreeBSD won't run on a 286 (and never has). The 286 is a 16-bit
processor, and FreeBSD is (and has always been) a 32-bit OS.

> I chose to install xfreebsd with KDE, Gnome, and some ports

There is no such thing as XFreeBSD. Maybe you mean XFree86?

>                                               When I finally figured
> that startx works better than xwin (or whatever xwin commands I first
> came across (logically),

startx is not the Right Way. Look for 'xdm' in /etc/ttys.

>                          I was totally confounded by the fact that I now
> had 4 taskbars on the top and bottom of the screen, two hidden behind
> others.  I'm doing unorthodox things like loading KDE as a non-managed
> session in windowmanager to get my desktop approximating a single
> taskbar desktop.

Just create a .xsession file in your home directory that contains the
single line 'exec /usr/local/bin/startkde'.

>                                        Would it be too hard to get the
> KDE and Gnome folks together with installation program coders to figure
> out an improved x-windows installation routine?

The KDE and Gnome folks have no part in this.

> The sound card didn't go in either.  Ok, so ya purposefully wanted to
> give people incentive to build their own kernels.  After all the hard
> work you put into it, I can see that you might just want to throw up
> your hands and say, "If ya can't do that, go back to whatever OS ya'
> came from."

No, but the sound drivers in 4.1 aren't dynamically loadable, and we
don't want to put too much into the GENERIC kernel. 5.0 can load the
sound drivers dynamically, and I expect 4.2 will as well.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org